MyoTape Allows Mouth Puffing in Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

MyoTape Allows Mouth Puffing in Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

For persons with moderate to severe sleep apnea, it is important that tape used to support breathing through the nose during sleep also allows mouth puffing. Mouth puffing is when the person breathes out through the mouth.  

If mouth puffing is prevented by wearing adhesive mouth tape to cover the lips, obstructive sleep apnea can worsen.   

In a study of 71 participants aged from 35 to 60 years, taping across the mouth improved oxygen levels in 30 persons (51.72%), while the other 28 participants did not (48.28%). 

MyoTape allows mouth puffing to take place if necessary as it is worn surrounding the lips and does not cover the mouth. The elastic tension from the tape helps bring the lips together to ensure nasal breathing.  

Jau JY, Kuo TBJ, Li LPH, Chen TY, Hsu YS, Lai CT, Yue WC, Huang PH, Yang CCH. Mouth Puffing Phenomenon and Upper Airway Features May Be Used to Predict the Severity of Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Nat Sci Sleep. 2023 Apr 3;15:165-174. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37032816/

Back to blog